- 3 levels of consciousness
- Functional awareness/responsiveness - lowest level of consciousness. Responding to stimuli in semi-intelligent ways
- Subjective experience - the ‘conscious cutoff’. Experiences things subjectively.
- Good heuristic for consciousness - is it ‘like something’ to be that creature.
- Self-consciousness - aware of ourself as an agent in the world, we have slef-recognition, meta-cognition. We can reason about our own thinking.
- Other human specialties - language, brain size, tool usage